BREAKING: Navy Opens Outer Mole Planning Process as Cruise Ship Debate Reignites in Key West
Industry leaders, developers and cruise interests join Navy forum as control of waterfront property shifts away from city.

KEY WEST, Fla. — The U.S. Navy on Wednesday afternoon opened a new phase in determining the future of the Outer Mole property at Naval Air Station Key West, reigniting debate over whether large cruise ships could return to the city’s waterfront after years of political battles and voter-backed restrictions.
Members of the Key West Committee for Safer, Cleaner Ships joined cruise industry executives, developers, tourism operators and maritime business representatives for a Navy-hosted industry forum and site inspection at the Outer Mole, according to a statement released by the organization.
Participants at Navy Outer Mole Industry Forum
Participants identified by the committee included representatives from Margaritaville at Sea, Cruise Terminals International, Historic Tours of America, multiple Spottswood-affiliated companies, maritime service firms and development interests connected to Sunset Key.
According to the committee, the following representatives attended Wednesday’s U.S. Navy industry forum and site inspection regarding future uses of the Outer Mole property:
Cruise and Maritime Interests
Kyle Anderson
Cruise Terminals International (partly owned by Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines)
Chris De Leo
Caribe Nautical Services (Logistics and line handling for cruise ships)
Gretta Philips-Ford
Effie Ford
Tourism and Hospitality
Historic Tours of America (Conch Train and Old Town Trolleys)
Clinton Curry
Development and Real Estate Interests
Robert Spottswood
Chas Spottswood
Sunset Key Development Office (Operators of Pier B)
Diane Schmidt
Tom McMurrain
Mark Walsh
Jason Mayes
Legal Representatives
Robert Gebaide
Barton Smith
Advocacy Group Representatives
Key West Committee for Safer, Cleaner Ships
Evan Haskell
Arlo Haskell
Capt. Will Benson
There weren’t really any surprises in the mix; The meeting was part of the Navy’s ongoing Request for Interest process seeking proposals and input regarding future uses of the waterfront property along Truman Harbor.
Cruise Terminals International is one of the largest terminal operators in the world, and is partly owned by Royal Caribbean Cruise lines, with destinations including Italy, Miami, Spain and St. Thomas. Its competitor, Wessco also participated.
Any local effort to gain control of the Mole would likely involve some mix of Pier B operator Mark Walsh, the Spottswood Family (rumored to be interested in a ferry service to Cuba) and HTA, which logistically has the now-how to shuttle passengers from the property into businesses it controls around Old Town Key West.
It is clear from the cast of players what the intent is for the property.
“The City’s loss of control means the Navy will now have the final say on whether or not large cruise ships return to the Mole,” the committee said in a statement distributed Wednesday.
The City of Key West has controlled the property through a lease agreement since 2003, but the Navy previously notified city officials that the lease will terminate in August.
Before adoption of the city’s “One Ship Policy,” the Outer Mole served as one of three primary cruise berths in the Port of Key West and regularly accommodated large cruise vessels.
The committee said it informed Navy officials about Key West’s history of voter-approved referendums, local legislation and environmental protections intended to limit the impacts of large cruise ships.
The organization also said it plans to submit additional questions and draft its own proposal advocating “sustainable future use” of the property.
The Navy has not publicly detailed what specific uses are under consideration or whether renewed cruise operations are being actively evaluated.
Residents were encouraged to submit comments and questions directly to Navy real estate officials before a May 27 deadline tied to the Request for Interest process.
The Outer Mole forms part of the breakwater protecting Truman Harbor and sits between Pier B and Fort Zachary Taylor Historic State Park near Truman Waterfront Park.
No timeline has been announced for a final Navy decision.

Related News: Power Boat Races Secured Through 2031
In a separate waterfront development announced this week, Race World Offshore signed a five-year agreement with the City of Key West securing the annual Key West World Championship Power Boat Races through 2031.
Race week includes offshore racing competition, Race Village events at Truman Waterfront Park, the Duval Street boat parade and multiple fan gatherings tied to the November championships.
“We’re grateful to the City of Key West and the U.S. Navy for their continued good faith efforts,” Race World Offshore manager Larry Bleil said in a statement. “Key West is the home of offshore powerboat racing, and this agreement ensures the world championships stay where they belong for years to come.”
Since the City will no longer covertly the Outer Mole, Race World will have to negotiate seperately with the Navy each year.


